2020 December Newsletter | 二零二零年十二月新闻期刊
The 72nd AACC Annual Scientific Meeting & Clinical Lab Expo will be held virtually on December 13-17, 2020. NACCCA and its members will have various activities and presentations. We are looking forward to another productive meeting week.
In This Issue (本期报道)
- NACCCA 40th Anniversary Dinner (NACCCA 40 周年晚宴)
- First AACC Chinese Symposium (首届AACC中文学术论坛)
- Greetings from NACCCA President (NACCCA主席致辞)
- NACCCA members’ upcoming AACC presentations and recent publications (NACCCA成员2020 AACC年会讲座及近期发表文章)
NACCCA 40th Anniversary Virtual Meeting
NACCCA 40 周年线上活动
Click for Event Flyer
Date and Time:
December 16, 2020, 7:00-9:00PM US Central Time
北京时间2020年12月17日上午9:00 – 11:00
Registration required (Zoom注册链接):
Event Highlights （晚会活动安排):
Retrospection of NACCCA 40 years（NACCCA 40 周年回顾）
- Interview with Dr. Daniel W. Chan, NACCCA President of 1985, by Dr. Victoria Zhang and Dr. Young Wang
- 2020 SCIWAY Innovation in Laboratory Medicine Award (moderated by Xin Yi):
Tony Hu, Tulane University School of Medicine, New Orleans, LA, USA
- 2020 NACCCA-AACC Abstract Awards (moderated by He Sarina Yang):
Kaijuan Wang, Fuwai Hospital, Beijing, China
Kayode Balogun, ARUP, Salt Lake City, UT, USA
Yu Zhang, UCSF, San Francisco, CA, USA
- 2019-2020 Dream Diagnostic Research Grant (moderated by Yiqi Rubin Luo)：
Jieli Shirley Li, Ohio State University, Columbus, OH, USA
2020 NACCCA Outstanding Award Recognitions（2020 NACCCA杰出奖项）
First AACC Chinese Symposium
美国临床化学学会 • 首届中文学术论坛
Current Landscape of Clinical Diagnostics &
Emerging Technologies in the United States and China
(2020 AACC Annual Meeting Scientific Session #34223)
US: December 16, 2020 2:00 – 4:30pm CST (3:00 – 5:30pm EST)
北京时间2020年12月17日上午4:00 – 6:30
Click for Symposium Flyer
Greetings from NACCCA President
It is an honor to be selected as NACCCA president 2020-2021. Thank you all for the trust and encouragement! In this term, other than continue to perform the NACCCA’s missions; I am aiming to reach 2 specific goals. 1) To work with the peers nationally and internationally in the field of laboratory medicine and in-vitro diagnostics to set up online series education webinars, 2) To initiate the project of interviewing our past NACCCA presidents utilizing the multiple media tools.
To reach the goals, I sincerely ask our NACCCA members’ continuous supports. Along with our board, we work together to make NACCCA to become one of the best as a professional association in our field. Go NACCCA!
–Young Wang, NACCCA President 2020-2021
很荣幸被选为NACCCA 2020-2021届主席。在此感谢大家的信任和鼓励! 在这届，除了继续执行NACCCA的使命外，我想设立2个具体目标。 1）在实验医学和体外诊断领域与国内外同行合作，建立在线系列教育网络学习班讲座和研讨会，2）利用多媒体启动采访我们历任NACCCA主席的项目。
NACCCA members’ upcoming AACC presentations and recent publications
Upcoming AACC presentations
42130 Promotion of Clinical Lab Science to the Public: The Time to Act is Now (Roundtable)
12/14/2020 8:00 AM – 9:00 AM
1. Alan Wu, PhD, University of California at San Francisco
32112 The “Omics” in Precision Medicine: Practical Strategies for Clinical Implementation
12/14/2020 11:00 AM – 12:30 PM
1. KT Jerry Yeo, BS, PhD, DABCC, FAACC, The University of Chicago
Role of the Clinical Laboratory in Fostering Precision Medicine Adoption at UChicago Medicine
2. Ping Wang, PhD, University of Pennsylvania
Clinical implementation of Precision Medicine Beyond Genomics at University of Pennsylvania
32101 Clinical Laboratories and Emergency Departments Adapt to New Models to Provide the Best Quality Care
12/14/2020 11:00 AM – 12:30 PM
1. Peter Steel, New York Presbyterian
Shared Mission: Aligning ED Goals with Clinical Laboratory Capabilities
2. James Nichols, PhD, DABCC, FAACC, Vanderbilt University Medical Center
On Demand POCT: Ambulance and Helicopter Testing in the Field
3. Zhen Zhao, PhD, DABCC, FAACC, Weill Cornell Medicine
Joint effort: Quality improvement in ED and Clinical Laboratory
32109 Opioid-Use Disorders, from Brain to Clinical Treatment and Laboratory Testing
12/14/2020 11:00 AM – 12:30 PM
1. Elizabeth Howell, MD, MS, DLFAPA, DFASAM, University of Utah Neuropsychiatric Institute
Treating Opioid-Use Disorders: A Triad of Clinical Management, Medication Maintenance, and Social Behavior Intervention
2. Yifei Yang, PhD, DABCC, University of Utah
Toxicology Testing to Support Opioid-Use Disorders Treatment for Patients on Long-Term Medical Assisted Treatment Therapy
32231 Personalized and Evidence-Based Laboratory Medicine: Friend or Foe?
12/14/2020 2:00 PM – 4:30 PM
1. Ping Wang, PhD, University of Pennsylvania
Precision Medicine: What It is and What It is Not
2. Karina Rodriguez-Capote, MD, PhD, FCACB, Interior Health Authority
Evidence-Based Laboratory Medicine: What It is and What It is Not
3. Annie Zemlin, University of Stellenbosch, Tygerberg Hospital
Personalized Medicine and Evidence-Based Laboratory Medicine: Friend or Foe?
33229 Promoting Efficiency and Safety in Patient Care with Laboratory Stewardship Programs
12/15/2020 2:00 PM – 4:30 PM
Moderator: Jing Cao, University of Texas Southwestern Medical Center
1. Erin Schuler, PhD, University of Kentucky
National Guidelines to Elevate Laboratory Stewardship Programs
2. Jing Cao, PhD, DABCC, FAACC, University of Texas Southwestern Medical Center
Laboratory Stewardship Program in Community Hospital Settings
3. Sridevi Devaraj, PhD, DABCC, FAACC, FRSC, Texas Childrens Hospital and Baylor Medical Center
Test Utilization Strategies: Clinical Impact
4. Lee Schroeder, MD, PhD, University of Michigan
Informatics Resources to Implement Effective Lab Test Stewardship Programs
33232 An Overview of Traumatic Brain Injury (TBI) – Clinical and Laboratory Presentation, Diagnosis, and Monitoring
12/15/2020 2:00 PM – 4:30 PM
1. Frank Peacock, MD, FACEP, FACC, FESC
So You Got Banged in the Head? Now What’s Your Doc Gonna Do?
2. Neil Datta, MD, Cambridge Health Alliance, Harvard Medical School
Concussion and TBI: The Neurologist’s Perspective in Brief
3. Pradip Datta, PhD, DABCC, Siemens Healthcare Diagnostics
Laboratory Diagnostics of Acute TBI Markers
4. Alan Wu, PhD, University of California at San Francisco
Laboratory Diagnostics and Novel Research in TBI Markers
34108 Point-Counterpoint: A Debate On The Need For Point-Of-Care Troponin Testing
12/16/2020 11:00 AM – 12:30 PM
1. Zhen Zhao, PhD, DABCC, FAACC, Weill Cornell Medicine
The Introduction of Current Status of the POC cTn Assays
2. Deborah Diercks, UT Southwestern Medical Center
POC cTn Has Added Value to Patient Care and is the Future
3. Alan Wu, PhD, University of California at San Francisco
Counterpoint: Conventional POC cTn Assays Should Not Be Used Today
34232 Transforming Passive Laboratory Testing to Active Consultation in a Clinical Pharmacogenomic Service
12/16/2020 2:00 PM – 4:30 PM
Moderator: Xin Yi, PhD, DABCC, FAACC, Houston Methodist Hospital
1. Xin Yi, PhD, DABCC, FAACC, Houston Methodist Hospital
Personalized Medicine Division survey on PGx Clinical Implementation
2. Kelly Caudle, PharmD, PhD, BCPS, Department of Pharmaceutical Sciences. St. Jude Children’s Research Hospital
Incorporation of Pharmacogenomics Into Routine Clinical Practice: CPIC Guideline Development and Standardization
3. Alejandro Molinelli, PhD, NRCC-CC, FAACC, St. Jude Children’s Research Hospital
Practical Considerations in Pharmacogenomics Decision Support: Pediatric Implementation
4. Hyun Kim, PharmD, Boston Children’s Hospital
Logistic and Operational Challenges to Clinical Pharmacogenomic Implementation
35227 Leverage Laboratory Information Systems to Improve Operational Efficiency and Patient Care
12/17/2020 2:00 PM – 3:30 PM
Moderator: Jing Cao, University of Texas Southwestern Medical Center
1. Ila Singh, MD, PhD, Texas Children’s Hospital, Baylor College of Medicine
Quality Metrics Dashboard and Intra-Lab Communication Tracking Realized by User-Defined Programs
2. Herbert Whinna, MD, PhD, University of North Carolina at Chapel Hill
The Journey to Automated Critical Value Calls Generated from LIS and Bumps in the Road Part I
3. Bulent Oral, NewYork Presbyterian Hospital
The Journey to Automated Critical Value Calls Generated from LIS and Bumps in the Road Part II
Congratulations to Dr. Luo on his American Society for Clinical Pathology (ASCP) 40 Under Forty Award!
“The ASCP 40 Under Forty program recognizes members under the age of 40 for their achievements and leadership qualities that are making an impact on pathology and laboratory medicine. Forty pathologists, laboratory professionals and residents are chosen annually through an application or nomination process. The program has recognized worthy members of the laboratory team both nationally and internationally.”— ASCP
Member Publications (selected 2020 Mar. – Nov.)
Yiqi Ruben Luo, PhD, DABCC, University of California, San Francisco
- Yiqi Ruben Luo, Indrani Chakraborty, Eszter Lazar-Molnar, Alan H B Wu, Kara L Lynch. Development of Label-Free Immunoassays as Novel Solutions for the Measurement of Monoclonal Antibody Drugs and Antidrug Antibodies. Clin Chem. 2020 Oct 1;66(10):1319-1328.
- Yiqi Ruben Luo, Indrani Chakraborty, Cassandra Yun, Alan H B Wu, Kara L. Lynch. Kinetics of SARS-CoV-2 Antibody Avidity Maturation and Association with Disease Severity, Clin Infect Dis, Published online 2020 Sep 14. doi: 10.1093/cid/ciaa1389.
- Yiqi Ruben Luo, Robert Goodnough, Rebecca Menza, Adina Badea, Herbert Yiu-Wei Luu, Lucy Z. Kornblith, Kara L. Lynch. A Case of Unexplained Duodenal Ulcer and Massive Gastrointestinal Bleed, Clin. Chim. Acta. 2020 July; 506, 188-190.
- Yiqi Ruben Luo. Label-Free Detection of Therapeutic Monoclonal Antibody Interference, Clinical Laboratory News, 2020 May Issue.
Alan Wu, PhD, DABCC, University of California, San Francisco
- Alan H B Wu. The Impact of Mass Spectrometry on Patients’ Medical and Nonmedical Lives. Lab Med. 2020 Nov 18;lmaa083. doi:10.1093/labmed/lmaa083. Online ahead of print.
- Alan H B Wu, Yu Zhang, Robert Webber. Extracellular vesicles released in blood of COVID-19 patients: mechanism for detection of cardiac troponin after myocardial injury? Biomarkers. 2020 Nov 24;1-3.
- Jacob A Lebin, Anita Mudan, Alan H B Wu. Chronic alcohol use does not protect against COVID-19 infection. Am J Emerg Med. 2020 Nov 14;S0735-6757(20)31033-0.
- Alan H B Wu, Peter A Kavsak, Kristin Moberg Aakre. Lot-to-Lot Variation for Commercial High-Sensitivity Cardiac Troponin: Can We Realistically Report Down to the Assay’s Limit of Detection? Clin Chem. 2020 Sep 1;66(9):1146-1149.
- Alan H B Wu. Screening the General Population for SARS-CoV-2 Virus and COVID-19 Antibodies: A Counterargument. J Appl Lab Med. 2020 Sep 1;5(5):1107-1110.
- Alan H B Wu, Kara Lynch, Anne Sexter, Fred S Apple.Upper reference limits and percent measurable concentrations using a universal sample bank for high sensitivity cardiac troponin I using a point-of-care assay. Clin Biochem. 2020 Sep;83:89-91.
Zheng Cao, 首都医科大学附属北京妇产医院
- Zheng Cao, Yifan Lu, Yuting Cong, Ying Liu, Youran Li, Husheng Wang, Qiaoli Zhang, Wenxi Huang, Jingrui Liu, Ying Dong, Guodong Tang, Yiqi Ruben Luo, Chenghong Yin, Yanhong Zhai. Simultaneous Quantitation of Four Androgens and 17-Hydroxyprogesterone in Polycystic Ovarian Syndrome Patients by LC-MS/MS, J Clin Lab Anal. 2020 Aug 21;e23539. doi: 10.1002/jcla.23539. Online ahead of print.
- Zhihui Wan, Eric R. Rosenbaum, Wei Liu, Boyan Song, Xiaofei Yue, Yunayuan Kong, Tianhe Li, Yanhong Zhai, Zhijun Ma, Zheng Cao*, Benchmark examination of blood amino acids patterns in phenylketonuria neonates and young children on phenylalanine-restricted dietary treatment, Fetal Pediatr Pathol. (2020) doi.org/10.1002/jcla.23658. Online ahead of print
- Youran Li#, Xiaofei Yue#, Zhifeng Pan, Ying Liu, Min Shen, Yanhong Zhai, Zheng Cao*, Development and validation of an LC‐MS/MS method for quantifying nine antimicrobials in human serum and its application to study the exposure of Chinese pregnant women to antimicrobials (#: contributed equally), J Clin Lab Anal. (2020) doi.org/10.1002/jcla.23658. Online ahead of print
- Xin Xie, Meng Wang, Yifan Lu, Jiazi Zeng, Jing Wang, Chunhong Zhang, Hongyuan Zhu, Yujie Song, Lican Han, Ying Liu, Jingnan Zhang, Lei Li, Lu Chen, Yanhong Zhai*, Zheng Cao*, Thromboelastography (TEG) in normal pregnancy and its diagnostic efficacy in patients with gestational hypertension, gestational diabetes mellitus, or preeclampsia, J Clin Lab Anal. (2020) doi: 10.1002/jcla.23623. Online ahead of print
- Zhihui Wan, Junxuan Xu, Yunpeng Huang, Yanhong Zhai, Zhijun Ma, Bing Zhou, Zheng Cao*, Elevating bioavailable iron levels in mitochondria suppresses the defective phenotypes caused by PINK1 loss-of-function in Drosophila melanogaster, Biochem Biophys Res Commun. (2020) doi: 10.1016/j.bbrc.2020.08.002. Online ahead of print
- Chao Yu, Fei Fan, Siqi Hu, Lingxin Meng, Dong Xu, Juan Wang, Lu Chen, Jingrui Liu, Ying Dong, Yifan Lu, Min Shen, Yanhong Zhai*, Zheng Cao*, Evaluation of autoantibodies and immunoglobulin g subclasses in women with suspected macroprolactinemia, J Clin Lab Anal. (2020) 34:e23456 doi: 10.1002/jcla.23456. Online ahead of print
- Jingrui Liu, Xiaowei Liu, Shenglong Zhao, Yuanyuan Zheng, Lu Chen, Jing Wang, Sien Zhan, Siqi Hu, Ying Dong, Guodong Tang, Yifan Lu, Yanhong Zhai, Zheng Cao*, A pilot proteomic study with a prospective cohort suspected to develop preeclampsia, Hypertens Res. (2020), 43(11):1319-1321 doi: 10.1038/s41440-020-0484-3
- Jiazi Zeng, Youran Li, Ying Dong, Yifei Chen, Ying Liu, Shu Wang, Hongyuan, Zhu, Jingrui Liu, Yifan Lu, Yanhong Zhai, Zheng Cao*, Predictive values of d-dimer for adverse pregnant outcomes: a retrospective study, Clin Chem Lab Med. (2020) doi: 10.1515/cclm-2020-0392, Online ahead of print
- Jingrui Liu, Sien Zhan, Yan Jia, Youran Li, Ying Liu, Ying Dong, Guodong Tang, Lin Li, Yanhong Zhai, Zheng Cao*, Retinol and α-tocopherol in pregnancy: Establishment of reference intervals and associations with CBC, Matern Child Nutr. (2020) 16(3):e12975. doi: 10.1111/mcn.12975.
- Ying Dong, Yanhong Zhai, Jing Wang, Yi Chen, Xin Xie, Chunhong Zhang, Jingrui Liu, Yifan Lu, Guodong Tang, Lican Han, Lin Li, Zheng Cao*, Glycated albumin in pregnancy: reference intervals establishment and its predictive value in adverse pregnancy outcomes, BMC Pregnancy Childbirth. (2020) 20(1):12. doi: 10.1186/s12884-019-2704-x.
Zhen Zhao, PhD, DABCC, Weill Cornell Medicine, Cornell University
He Sarina Yang, PhD, DABCC, Weill Cornell Medicine, Cornell University
- Sabrina E Racine-Brzostek, He S Yang, Amy Chadburn, Duncan Orlander, Anjile An, Thomas R. Campion, Massimo Loda, Zhen Zhao, Rainu Kaushal, Melissa M Cushing. COVID-19 Viral and Serology Testing in New York City Health Care Workers. Am J Clin Pathol. 2020 Accepted
- Xin Liu, Taojunfeng Su, Yen‐Michael S. Hsu, Hua Yu, He S Yang, Li Jiang, Zhen Zhao. Rapid Identification and Discrimination of Methicillin Resistant Staphylococcus aureus Strains via MALDI-TOF Mass Spectrometry. Rapid Commun Mass Spectrom. 2020 Oct 14:e8972. doi: 10.1002/rcm.8972. Epub ahead of print. PMID: 33053243.
- He S Yang, Yu Hou, Ljiljana V Vasovic, Peter A Steel, Amy Chadburn, Sabrina E Racine-Brzostek, Priya Velu, Melissa M Cushing, Massimo Loda, Rainu Kaushal, Zhen Zhao*, and Fei Wang. Routine laboratory blood tests predict SARS-CoV-2 infection using machine learning. Clin. Chem. 2020 Nov 1;66(11):1396-1404 (*co-corresponding author)
- He S Yang, Sabrina E. Racine-Brzostekab, William T.Lee, Danielle Hunt, JimYee, Zhengming Chen, Jeffrey Kubiak, Miguel Cantu, Layla Hatem, Elaine Zhong, Danielle D’Ambrosio, Amy Chadburn, Lars Westblad, Marshall Glesby, Massimo Loda, Melissa M.Cushing, Zhen Zhao. SARS-CoV-2 antibody characterization in emergency department, hospitalized and convalescent patients by two semi-quantitative immunoassay. Clin Chim Acta. 2020 Oct;509:117-125
- Stephenie H. Droll, Yen-Michael Sheng Hsu, Steven K. Drake, Ashley Kim, Weixin Wang, Katherine R. Calvo, Zheng Cao, Tony Y Hu, Zhen Zhao. Differential Processing of High-Molecular-Weight Kininogen during Normal Pregnancy. Rapid Commun Mass Spectrom. 2020 Apr;34 Suppl 1(Suppl 1):e8552
Yusheng Zhu, PhD, DABCC, Pennsylvania State University College of Medicine
- Barbhuiya MA, Pederson EC, Straub ML, Neibauer TL, Salter WF, Saylor EL, Scott SC, Zhu Y. Automated Measurement of Plasma Cell-Free Hemoglobin Using the Hemolysis Index Check Function. J Appl Lab Med. 2020 Mar 1;5(2):281-289. doi: 10.1093/jalm/jfz006. PMID: 32445381.
- Barbhuiya MA, Reinhard H, Helm KF, Creer MH, Zhu Y. A Thirteen-Year-Old Boy with Rashes and Bumps on Arms and Legs. J Appl Lab Med. 2020 Sep 1;5(5):1117-1121.
- Goetz L, Yang J, Greene W, Zhu Y. A COVID-19 Patient with Repeatedly Undetectable SARS-CoV-2 Antibodies. J Appl Lab Med. 2020 Nov 1;5(6):1401-1405. doi: 10.1093/jalm/jfaa137. PMID: 32745181.
- Yang J, Pederson EC, Hamilton C, Neibauer T, Robyak K, McGhee P, Speicher T, Zhu Y. Analytical and Clinical Analysis of Two Automated Anti-SARS-CoV-2 Immunoassays in Pre-pandemic and Pandemic Patient Populations. J Appl Lab Med. 2020 Nov 5:jfaa204. doi: 10.1093/jalm/jfaa204. Epub ahead of print. PMID: 33152084.
- Yang J, Straub M, Scott S, Pederson EC, Zhu Y. Unusual Hepatitis C Virus Seroconversion in a Patient with Aplastic Anemia. J Appl Lab Med. 2020 Nov 9:jfaa178. doi: 10.1093/jalm/jfaa178. Epub ahead of print. PMID: 33164070.
Xin Yi, PhD, DABCC, Houston Methodist Hospital
- Yi X, Cao J, What to Expect from Antibody Assays of SARS-CoV-2? J Appl Lab Med. 2020 Sep 1;5(5):1126-1130.
Jing Cao, PhD, DABCC, University of Texas Southwestern
- Cao J, Devaraj S, COVID-19 in Pediatrics: A Laboratory Perspective. J Appl Lab Med. 2020 Apr 15: doi: 10.1093/jalm/jfaa065, PMID: 32533169.
Qing Meng, PhD, DABCC, University of Texas MD Anderson Cancer Center
- Bingliang Fang, Qing H Meng. The laboratory’s role in combating COVID-19. Crit Rev Clin Lab Sci. 2020 Sep;57(6):400-414.
Zhou Zhou, 中国医学科学院阜外医院
- Xuanyu Liu, Wen Chen, Wenke Li, James R Priest, Yuanyuan Fu, Kunjing Pang, Baihui Ma, Bianmei Han, Xuewen Liu, Shengshou Hu, Zhou Zhou. Exome-Based Case-Control Analysis Highlights the Pathogenic Role of Ciliary Genes in Transposition of the Great Arteries. Circ Res. 2020 Mar 27;126(7):811-821. doi: 10.1161/CIRCRESAHA.119.315821.
Qian Sun, PhD, DABCC, Beaumont Health
- Gabriel N Maine, Kriselle Maris Lao, Subhashree Mallika Krishnan, Olabisi Afolayan-Oloye, Seyedalireza Fatemi, Sandeep Kumar, Lindsay VanHorn, Ashley Hurand, Elizabeth Sykes, Qian Sun. Longitudinal characterization of the IgM and IgG humoral response in symptomatic COVID-19 patients using the Abbott Architect. J Clin Virol. 2020 Oct 27;133:104663.
- 2021 NACCCA Annual Meeting